news-engine

← sport

Stringer confirms Giants exit, plans to play on in 2027

AFL · Emily Patterson · 2026-08-20T04:16:51+00:00 · nguồn gốc

AHEAD of his milestone 250th game this weekend, Jake Stringer has confirmed he will head back to Melbourne next season for family reasons, saying Greater Western Sydney's upcoming match against Adelaide is probably his final outing in orange and charcoal. Despite returning home to prioritise his family, Stringer made it clear he still has the drive to play at the highest level, stating he feels he has "quite a few more years left" in his career. However, he emphasised that "there's been no decision" made about his playing future, and plans to spend time with his family in Victoria before working out his next steps. Facing an uncertain future, Stringer originally joined GWS from Essendon ahead of the 2025 season on a two-year contract that expires at the end of this season, leaving him an unrestricted free agent heading into 2027. AFL.com.au's Cal Twomey reported on Gettable this week that Collingwood has shown some interest in Stringer for next season. The Giants are looking to refresh their forward line, prioritising younger talent like Max Gruzewski while managing list pressure alongside fellow out-of-contract veterans like Jesse Hogan and Stephen Coniglio. "I'll probably most likely go back to Melbourne, just for family reasons," a candid Stringer told reporters on Thursday. "My dad's been sick throughout this whole year, and being away from my two girls back in Melbourne's been challenging. So, it will probably, most likely, be my last game for the Giants. "I'm comfortable with that. The decision's probably time to go back to Melbourne. "I'll get back to being a dad with them... I sacrificed a lot coming up here, like not seeing them as much. I miss being able to watch them play netball or basketball, and do stuff like that. "So, I think the timing's right, and I think the timing's right for the club as well, with all the young forwards coming in. I'm just excited for this last game... [I'm] very grateful for the opportunity. I've absolutely loved my time here. "Sydney's such a great spot ... all my kids have loved it up here. The playing group is special. I wanted to win a premiership with them. Unfortunately, we didn't achieve that, but I've got no doubt that they're going to have success in the future, and I'll probably be the number one supporter cheering the boys on." Originally drafted by the Western Bulldogs with pick No.5 in 2012, Stringer played 89 games for the club, earning All-Australian honours in 2015 and winning a premiership in 2016. He moved to the Bombers at the end of 2017 and played 123 games there, further establishing himself as one of the league's most electrifying forwards. In his 2025 debut season at GWS, Stringer kicked multiple goals on eight occasions to finish with 25 goals across 15 games. With just one game remaining this season, Stringer has kicked 42 goals — nine clear of his nearest teammate, Toby Greene (33). This achievement places Stringer in a rare, elite group of players to lead the goal-kicking at three different clubs, having previously done so three times each at the Western Bulldogs (2015, 2016, 2017) and Essendon (2018, 2019, 2021). Stringer also dismissed speculation surrounding off-field tensions with his teammates, insisting that any reports of friction within the playing group were "never an issue". "I love all the players, and it's the same back to me," he said, adding that the players and staff "made me feel a part of it, part of the family, part of the fabric," leaving him "forever grateful" for his time at the club. Coach Adam Kingsley expressed deep appreciation for Stringer's impact, emphasising the team wants to honour him with a strong performance in his 250th match. "We want to play well and perform well for Jake," he said. "He's been so good for us ... and whatever will be, will be at the end of the season. But he's been terrific for us, particularly this year in the absence of some high-quality teammates around him; he's really stood up for us and performed to a high level. So, we need to put in a performance that’s reflective of our appreciation for him." Fellow forwards Hogan and Jake Riccardi, ruck Kieren Briggs, captain Toby Greene and Coniglio are also out of contract at the end of 2026. Kingsley reiterated that no contract decisions would be finalised until post-season. "They're all still in discussions," he said. "As I've said in the past, when the two sides come together, we'll cross those bridges, and hopefully it works out in our favour." Asked how the club is approaching the potential departure of inaugural players, Kingsley said the Giants want to retain them while preparing to honour their legacy regardless of the outcome. "We want both of those boys to stay, and those discussions are ongoing," he said. "But irrespective of the circumstances and their decision, if it is that they both leave, or one leaves, we'll celebrate them accordingly. "They'll always be fantastic members and pioneers of our football club. But you'd be hoping they stay, and that's where we're at."