news-engine

← chelsea

'Right thing': Chelsea star backs World Cup boycott ahead of Auckland match

· Samuel Sherry · 2026-08-07 · nguồn gốc

Chelsea FC Women’s Lucy Bronze has said a boycott of Fifa competitions could be the “right thing” for the “future of the game” after European football’s governing body announced their associations could still miss the World Cup. Uefa previously stated it would boycott the World Cup after Fifa presidentGianni Infantino planned to sell stakes in the global governing body’s competition to private investors. Despite an apology for the plans from Fifa, a statement from Uefa said conditions to withdraw their boycott had not been met, something Bronze said could be for the good of football. “I think the message that we stand by as players, and obviously as European competitions as well, is for the good of the game,” Bronze explained. “I think the players who play in those competitions, the European players, we stand by our beliefs and what the right thing is for our game. “And if that means boycotting competitions, then that has to happen. Chelsea and England defender Lucy Bronze said a boycott of Fifa competitions could be the "right thing" to do. Photo / Jason Dorday “It’s for the future of the game and not just for me today and tomorrow. “It’s for all the little girls or little boys who come after us to make sure that they’re in a good place when the game’s moving forward in decades to come, not just tomorrow.” Members of Fifa’s management board were summoned to the body’s office in Rabat, Morocco, to discuss criticism of the now-cancelled proposal to create a commercial subsidiary, called Fifa Forward Enterprise (FFE), to run its key events, like the World Cup, and to allow external investors to buy a stake in it. Chelsea Women's coach Sonia Bompastor (left) and defender Lucy Bronze speak ahead of their match against Auckland FC Women's Invitational XI on Saturday. Photo / Jason Dorday “First, the proposals to sell off the major competitions had to be withdrawn and secondly, assurances have to be made that such attempts to disfigure the game in this way will never be made again. European football's governing body Uefa reaffirmed that it had lost confidence in Fifa president Gianni Infantino. Photo / Photosport “In addition, Uefa made it abundantly clear in its statement on Saturday that it has lost confidence in Gianni Infantino’s presidency. That position holds.” A boycott by Uefa would prevent its member associations from participating in next year’s Women’s World Cup in Brazil, meaning Bronze’s England and 2023 winners Spain would not participate. Bronze's Chelsea will play Auckland FC Women's Invitational XI at Eden Park on Saturday. Photo / Jason Dorday Bronze spoke with her club coach Sonia Bompastor before their pre-season fixture with the Auckland FC Women’s Invitational XI on August 8, where the defender said she was disappointed England weren’t able to play in New Zealand during the 2023 Women’s World Cup, but she reminisced on her experience in Aotearoa during her early playing days. “My first experience was actually in New Zealand when I was 16 years old; I played in the [U17] World Cup here,” Bronze said. “It was my first experience playing in stadiums, obviously not many people, because back then there wasn’t a lot of people.” However, she said players within the Chelsea team who stayed in Auckland during the World Cup have been sharing their experiences, while one coffee shop has seen business boom since the team’s arrival. “All the girls have got a map of Auckland of each coffee shop, I think there’s a coffee shop that’s actually got a signed shirt off the girls,” she said. “I think Ellie [Carpenter] is taking it tomorrow because the girls go that much already, we’ve been here three days.”