Celtic Boys Club abuse victim dies after lifetime fighting for justice
· Ruth Suter · 2026-08-12T11:51:56+00:00 · nguồn gốc
Celtic Boys Club abuse victim dies after lifetime fighting for justice
Gordon Woods, 71, passed away after a battle with a chronic lung disease.
A brave abuse victim of the Celtic Boys Club has died after spending a lifetime fighting for justice.
Gordon Woods, 71, passed away on the morning of Wednesday, August 12 after a battle with a chronic lung disease. His death was confirmed by the Spotlight Abuse Campaign.
A statement reads: “A brave man passed away today. Years of ill health has finally claimed the life of Gordon Woods.
“Our heartfelt condolences go out to his family. He leaves behind a legacy of courage and dogged determination in the face of seemingly overwhelming odds.”
Gordon bravely waived his right to anonymity to lay bare the scale of the horrific abuse he and other boys endured at the club between the 1960s and mid-1990s. Speaking to the Record in 2023, he told how he had finally taken back power from beast Jim Torbett, who terrified him as a child.
Thrice-convicted Torbett began attacking Woods when he was just 13. Gordon told his trial how the beast would assault him up to 40 times between 1967 and 1968.
The attacks took place in the paedophile's flat and his car and in the back of a toy shop in Glasgow.
Speaking to the Record at the time, Gordon said: "I hope Torbett rots in jail for the pain and suffering he has caused to countless families. I have felt guilt, shame and embarrassment for over 30 years, but I have now achieved what I set out to do.
"I have taken back control from Torbett. I faced him in a court of law. The court offered me a screen so he couldn't see me, but I refused. I wanted him to look at me when I told the court what he did to me. I wanted to show he has no power over me anymore."
Gordon said he broke down when the jury delivered their guilty verdict and convicted Torbett of three charges of indecent assault and one of using lewd and libidinous behaviour.
He said at the time: "My 13-year-old daughter texted me straight after I told her the result and she said: 'I'm so proud of you dad'. "I broke down. Torbett's conviction is the right result for anyone who is mentally scarred from abuse. It's over now and I can start getting my life back together. This has given me so much more strength."
Gordon was among a group of 28 men who launched legal action against Hoops after they suffered abuse at the hands of Torbett, Frank Cairney and Jim McCafferty.
Last year, we told how nine further victims came forward after Celtic FC made payouts of more than £1million to 24 of 28 cases represented by Thomsons Solicitors.
A source close to the case told the Record at the time: "In addition to those 3 ongoing cases from the group, there are nine other cases ongoing against Celtic Plc relating to historical child abuse. Those cases relate to abuse perpetrated by Torbett, Cairney and McCafferty.
"Those cases are all at differing stages and we expect them all to also settle."
Gordon went on to write an autobiography abuse the abuse he endured at Celtic Boys Club. The book, named 'Being Put Through Hoops' details Gordon's 60-year struggle from the abuse, well as his fight for justice and accountability.
The sex abuse survivor started writing the book in 2020 after he was encouraged to document his thoughts by former Daily Record journalist Keith McLeod - who was the first to expose the scandal - but was forced to put it on hold during his court case against the Celtic Boys Club founder.
Tributes poured in for Gordon online following the news of his death.
Neil Buchanan said: "So sad to read this. Rest in peace Gordon. They never ground you down. You were relentless."
Tom McVey wrote: "My thoughts with his family and friends. The work he did in exposing the decades of csa should never be forgotten."
Another person wrote: "Rest easy Gordon. You fought for the truth in the face of adversity and cover up. Your fight is done Sir. God speed."
Arthur Travers posted: "Such a brave man. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family."
Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here .