news-engine

← stoke_city

Swansea City sweating on injury to key man ahead of Stoke opener

· Peter Smith · 2026-08-10 · nguồn gốc

Swansea City fear that Cameron Burgess could miss an opening game at Stoke and a long time beyond after he limped out of action. Burgess was forced off in the 87th minute of a Carabao Cup first round 1-0 defeat to Birmingham at home on Saturday. He landed awkwardly and there are fears he could have suffered Achilles damage. He was taken to hospital for a scan and the results are yet to be made public. Manager Vitor Matos had already used all his substitutions on the afternoon so had to play out the closing stages a man short. That problem was put in the shade by worries that Burgess's injury could be serious. Reports in Australia suggest he could be a doubt for the Asian Cup in January. Matos told WalesOnline: “It doesn’t look good but I prefer to wait for the assessment we will do. It could be related to the Achilles but let’s see." Burgess, aged 30, had played every minute through last season and then starred next to Harry Souttar in the middle of Australia's defence at the World Cup. FOLLOW OUR FACEBOOK PAGE! Latest Stoke City news, analysis and more via the Sentinel Summer signing Stephen Welsh and Filip Lissah are on standby for next Saturday's trip to the bet365 Stadium. Swansea had already been linked with Rangers defender John Souttar, Harry's brother, as they wanted to add a centre-half before deadline day. Matos said: “Welshy is more than ready to come in. We can still play Lissah there so there’s plenty of options. Then we go Josh Key on the right, that’s good. All of them are ready at the moment to start." He added: "From when that [his injury] is confirmed, of course we need to reassess the situation and think what we can do in the market." Matos has made five signings so far this window, including free agent striker Ross Stewart, £6m winger Joseph Opoku and £5m midfielder Elijah Just, as well as Welsh and winger Moussa Yeo. They will come up against their old teammate Ethan Galbraith, who has joined Stoke. When asked if there could be an addition before the Stoke game, Matos said: "Let's see. The market's open. Everything can happen. We never know. So we are ready to receive the players that will help us to be a better team." What do you think? Click HERE to join the debate