Arsenal linked with unexpected Cristian Romero transfer swoop on Tottenham
· Bruna Reis · 2026-08-06 · nguồn gốc
Arsenal target shock Cristian Romero transfer hijack after Tottenham 'agreement struck'
Cristian Romero's future has been the subject of speculation for months, and he continues to be linked with a move away this summer
Arsenal are reportedly eyeing a shock move for Tottenham captain Cristian Romero amid renewed interest from Atletico Madrid. Romero's future in north London has been uncertain for several months, with the defender repeatedly linked with a move away.
Both Atletico and Inter Milan have been credited with interest this summer, and reports suggest Inter even have a 'broad agreement' in place with Spurs for a deal believed to be worth around £40million including add‑ons. However, The Athletic have now reported that fierce rivals Arsenal are also monitoring Romero's situation.
The Gunners are understood to admire the Argentine, but it's noted that Spurs are currently 'unaware' of any interest from the club. In any case, Tottenham would be highly unlikely to entertain selling their captain to a direct rival, with a move described as having a 'slim' chance of success.
FOLLOW OUR TOTTENHAM FB PAGE! Latest Spurs news, analysis and much more via our dedicated Facebook page
Arsenal's interest in his situation comes amid renewed movement from Atletico, who are coached by Romero's compatriot Diego Simeone. Atleti held strong interest in the defender last summer and have now made the defender an active target once again.
As previously reported, Atletico believe they are still firmly in the running to sign Romero, and are of the belief that the Spurs star would rather move to the Spanish capital than to Milan. Sky Sports reports that Atletico are closing in on a deal to sell Matteo Ruggeri to Aston Villa.
Ruggeri's departure would clear the way for them to push ahead with defensive reinforcements - namely Romero.
Following Atleti's initial interest, Spurs announced last August that the centre‑half had signed a new contract running to 2029 - just days after he was officially named club captain following Son Heung‑min's departure.
But Atletico and Inter are seemingly prepared to battle for his signature before the transfer window closes on September 1.
Roberto De Zerbi's Spurs, meanwhile, have already reinforced their defence with the arrivals of Jan Paul van Hecke and Marcos Senesi, the latter joining on a free after leaving Bournemouth.
The Italian boss previously revealed that he promised the likes of Romero that he would help them get the moves they want if they kept the club in the Premier League. De Zerbi told football.london: "At the beginning of my time, in April, I had, I don’t know, one million individual meetings!
FOLLOW OUR ARSENAL FB PAGE! Latest Gunners news, analysis and much more via our dedicated Facebook page
"And [the players] told me what was their idea. I said: 'Yes, help me to stay up, and then I help you to leave'. If you don't help me to stay up, you stay underwater with me! But Romero with me was unbelievable. Top.
"In his behaviour, his respect, he suffered when he did not play the last game. It is not true that he wanted to leave for Argentina to prepare for their World Cup. It’s not true."
De Zerbi added: "After the semi-final [against England] we text a message, but I never called him to convince him to stay. I respected what he told me. Like for [Guglielmo] Vicario, like for every player.
"Romero as a player is one of the best centre-backs in the world, but at the end I said I want to respect the will of the players."